Log in or Register

Club History

Tonbridge Football Club were formed in October 1947 following the suggestion of local businessman and founder chairman Mr. Herbert Portch, and were one of four clubs to be elected to the Southern League for the 1948-49 season. 'Jock' Dunoon, a former Chelsea player, was the club's first manager. The club took out a lease on the Angel Ground, formerly the home of Kent County Cricket Club and named after the nearby pub 'The Angel'. Hence Tonbridge FC became known as 'The Angels'. A crowd of around 5,000 turned up for the club's opening league fixture against fellow newcomers Hastings United but the match was lost 2-1 with Albert Ronson scoring the club's first ever goal. Progress was slow in the early days with the club rock bottom at Christmas and with Harold Hobbis taking over as manager from Dunoon and Marshall Raybould, but the club would improve their form in the second half of the season to finish third from last.

Throughout the 1950s the Angels would struggle to make any progress in the Southern League and a peak of 11th place was reached in 1949/50, the club's second season, however Tonbridge would prove to be a strong side in cup competitions. In 1949/50, the club reached the semi-finals of the Southern League Cup, losing 3-2 to Colchester United. In three successive seasons, 1950-51, 1951-52 and 1952-53, Tonbridge reached the First Round Proper of the FA Cup, only to lose each of the three after a replay. The Angels' opponents were Chelmsford City, Aldershsot and Norwich City respectively. The Aldershot tie at the Angel Ground saw a record attendance of 8,236, while the Norwich City game was shrouded in controversy with a late goal at Carrow Road settling the tie. The first trophy to be lifted came in 1951/52 with the Angels winning the Kent Senior Shield. Tonbridge would go on to win this trophy a further four times, in 1956, 1958, 1959 and 1964. Two Southern League Cup finals were reached and lost, beaten in 1954/55 by Yeovil Town and two seasons later by Hereford United, and two Kent Senior Cup finals were also lost in 1956/57 and 1958/59. The club were relegated from the Premier Division in 1961/62, but were promoted two seasons later finishing in 4th place after narrowly missing out the year before. However the club were then relegated back to Division One in 1965-66. The notable success of the 1960s was the achievement of reaching the First Round Proper for a fourth time, this time being knocked out 1-0 by Dagenham. The club also won the Kent Senior Cup for the first time in 1964/65 (pictured, top right).

In 1972/73 the Angels won promotion to the Premier Division by finishing as runners-up to Maidstone United. In the same season the First Round Proper of the FA Cup was reached once again as Charlton Athletic were the visitors to the Angel Ground. A crowd of 7,770 saw Charlton win 5-0. Tonbridge won the Kent Senior Cup in 1974/75 while managed by former World Cup winner George Cohen. After struggling to stay in the Premier Division, the club suffered financial troubles and went into voluntary liquidation in 1976. Tonbridge Angels FC was then formed and allowed to complete the fixture list on the understanding that relegation would result at the end of the 1975/76 season, wherever the club finished. Another major problem loomed soon after. The club's landlords, the local council, wanted the Angel Ground for development. A battle lasting up to three years that went as far as the High Courts ensued before the club was eventually offered a new ground at Longmead, its present home. The appropriately named Micky Angel scored the last ever goal at the old Angel Ground in 1980.

Former Tonbridge and Arsenal goalkeeper Tony Burns took over as manager for the 1980/81 season and the club’s new Longmead Stadium hosted its first game on August 18th 1980, a crowd of 701 watching a Southern League Cup game against Crawley Town. Despite having a new home, finances proved to be a problem for the club. Burns departed for Gravesend & Northfleet in December 1982 to be replaced by John Keirs, who took the club to fourth place in the 1983/84 season, promotion only denied to the Angels on the final day of the season. Phil Emblen took over the reins in July 1985 and led the club to another Southern League Semi Final appearance in 1987, but his departure along with several key players at the end of the 1987/88 season led to a slump in the 40th anniversary season.

1988/89 proved to be a disaster for the club. Former Tottenham Hotspur man Terry Naylor took charge and lasted for just seven games, in that time only managing to earn a single drawn match. With the Angels at the bottom of the league Tommy Sampson came in to try to steady the ship but the damage was already done. The Angels bade farewell to the Southern League after 40 years, relegation to the Kent League being the club’s “reward” after ending the season in next to bottom spot.

The Angels regrouped for the 1989/90 season with former player and manager Tony Burns returning to manage the club for a second time. Tonbridge finished in a worthy third place, not enough for a quick return to Southern League football, but silverware was forthcoming in the form of the Kent League Cup. Another former manager returned for the 1990/91 season, Phil Emblen, and he sparked a revival in the club's fortunes. Emblen patiently built a winning team and after two fourth-placed finishes, money-spinning Cup runs and another Kent League Cup win, the title finally arrived at Longmead in the 1992/93 season. And so, after a few seasons away, Tonbridge returned to the league which they had graced for so many years.

During the club’s Kent League days, Longmead Stadium’s record attendance for a competitive match was remarkably beaten three times in ten days during a memorable FA Cup run. After an abandoned 3rd Qualifying Round replay with Hampton in front of over 800 fans, the game was rearranged and drew an impressive attendance of 1,274. Just five days later the 4th Qualifying Round tie against Yeovil drew a crowd of 1,483. Season 1997/98 saw an attendance of 2,412 when the full Crystal Palace first team squad appeared for a charity match in aid of two local hospices, making March 30th 1998 a memorable evening in the clubs history. Still on the topic of records, the Angels’ biggest win came about in the FA Cup in 1951 when Worthing were beaten 11-1. Two seasons before that a 2-11 loss at Folkestone in the Kent Senior Cup had given the club its record defeat.

The Angels briefly topped the Southern Division on their return to Southern League football in the 1993/94 season but settled for a mid-table finish, which was to be repeated the following season. The club struggled in the 1995/96 season with Phil Emblen resigning as Manager in February 1996 to be replaced by Bill Roffey and the club finished in 18th position. In 1996-97 Tonbridge had an improved season finishing in 8th place and in the summer of 1997 Paul Emblen broke the club’s record transfer fee, moving to Charlton Athletic for £7,000. He was later transferred to Wycombe Wanderers for £60,000. His brother, ex-Angel Neil, has appeared for Millwall, Wolves, Crystal Palace and Norwich City.

After a disappointing start to the 1997/98 season Colin Blewden took over as Player-Manager in October and hauled the club away from the relegation zone to finish in 14th place and led the Angels to a 16th place finish in 1998/99. The 1999/2000 season was the club’s most successful since re-joining the Southern League. A run of fourteen games at the end of the season, in which just one defeat was suffered, secured a final league placing of seventh. The following season, it appeared that the Angels might better that seventh place finish. A storming start to the season saw just two of their first nineteen league matches lost. However, a run of five defeats in six matches late on, including a 2-3 reverse and Stamford, left the Angels in eighth spot come the end of the season. The 2001/02 season was not a successful one for the club. Blewden resigned in October and Tonbridge were one of several clubs involved in a relegation dogfight. They escaped the drop by winning two and drawing one of their last four matches, leaving them four points ahead of relegated Wisbech Town at the end.

Alan Walker was appointed manager at the start of season 2002-03 and that season was arguably the most successful since joining the Southern League, the club eventually finishing ninth after a fine end of season run. That run continued into the 2003-04 with the a club record of 26 league matches unbeaten being ended in December 2003, at which point the Angels were comfortable leaders of the Eastern Division. Walker left the club shortly after due to a loss of sponsorship and the Angels replaced him with player-manager Tony Dolby. After an initial period of mixed results, Dolby steadied the ship and brought in Mike Rutherford as assistant coach before keeping the Angels in the title battle until the penultimate game of the season. The Angels finally finished in third, the club’s highest position in the Southern League for more than 25 years.

The 2004-05 season started a new era in the Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division, and it began well with an unbeaten run of six games in the late summer, but the Angels were in the bottom three by the end of November, where they would stay for the rest of the season, and despite a late comeback were unable to claw themselves out of the relegation zone.

The Angels bounced back into the Premier Division at the first attempt, in the most dramatic of fashions, after a rollercoaster 2005-06 season. Tonbridge were undefeated until October but a bad run of results threatened to undermine the promotion bid, but the Angels always did enough to stay in the play-off places and a late surge secured third place and with it home advantage in the play-offs. Tooting & Mitcham were defeated in the Semi-Final match before a dream Final pitted the Angels at home to old Kent rivals Dover Athletic. The Lilywhites were beaten 3-2 in front of a new record Longmead Stadium attendance of 1,863.

In 2006/07 the club reached the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup again, losing 1-0 at home to Newport County. It was also a season in which Jon Main broke all the club’s scoring records with 44 goals including seven hat-tricks. Main would go on to break Paul Emblen's transfer record by signing for AFC Wimbledon in November 2007 for "an undisclosed record fee".

Following an FA Cup 4th qualifying round defeat at Ware in October 2007 the Angels parted company with manager Tony Dolby and Tommy Warrilow was appointed. The club finished 8th in the Ryman Premier and had a good run in the FA Trophy, beating Blue Square Premier side Oxford United before losing to AFC Wimbledon in the next round at Longmead, a game which drew a crowd of 2,281.

In 2008/09 the Angels finished third in the Ryman Premier but lost to Carshalton Athletic in the play-offs. The close season saw a major ground development. The old covered stand, which had been transported from the Angel Ground to Longmead in 1980, was a hollow shell except for a pathway and 200 temporary seats. It was completely refurbished and transformed into a smart 720 capacity all-seater stand.

In 2009/10 the Angels missed out on the play-offs but after a poor start to the 2010/11 season they embarked on a run of just one defeat in eighteen matches and put themselves in contention for a play-off place. That place was eventually won and Harrow were beaten 3-2 after extra-time in the semi-final to set up a final with Lowestoft Town at Longmead Stadium.

A nail biting match in front of a record competitive crowd of 2,411 saw the Angels just edge out their Suffolk visitors 4-3 to take their place for the first time in the Football Conference South Division - their highest ever place in the non-league pyramid.

The Angels were to stay three seasons at that level, finishing as high as 9th in their first season, before being relegated back to the Isthmian Premier at the end of season 2013/14. Manager Tommy Warrilow also resigned at the same time.

His place was taken by Steve McKimm who had been coach at Sutton United and whilst his first season in charge saw a flirtation with relegation, there followed an immediate change in fortune with 4th place achieved in 2015/16 and a play off semi final appearance against East Thurrock United. Despite a 2-0 loss there was optimism for the 2016/17 season. That optimism was well founded with a 4th Qualifying round appearance in the FA Cup against Dartford and a promotion challenge that in the end saw the club one position and one point away from a play off place.

While 2017/18 didn't quite live up to the heights of the previous two seasons, in 2018/19 McKimm's side matched their 4th placed effort of three years previous, but this time went one better by winning the play-offs beating Haringey Borough, Merstham and Metropolitan Police to return to the National League after a five-year absence.

It was a tough opening half of the campaign for the Angels back in non-league’s Step 2 but a definite improvement in form from the the turn of the year saw them eventually placed in 15th position on an unweighted points per game formula following the cessation of the 2019/20 competition due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The aforementioned pandemic again caused havoc with the following season (2020/21), with National North and South competitions eventually being declared null and void in February.  The Angels did however reach the 1st Round Proper of the FA Cup for the first time since 1972/73 where the excitement of Longmead hosting live national TV was not quite matched by the result, a 7-0 defeat at the hands of EFL Bradford City!  

With fans allowed back into Longmead following the pandemic, and attendances moving upwards hopes were high for a successful 2021/22 season on the pitch but the league campaign was somewhat underwhelming with mathematical safety in National South only secured in the penultimate fixture.  As compensation there was a record breaking run in the FA Trophy (5th Round) with two National League sides eliminated in the process.  At the end of the season Steve McKimm was replaced by Jay Saunders as full time 1st team manager. 

The club entered a new era in season 2022/23 with the summer installation of a FIFA approved 3G surface which was opened on Saturday, 20th August for the visit of Hampton and Richmond Borough, unfortunately it was an inauspicious beginning with a 4-1 defeat. Thankfully, this was not a foretaste of things to come as Jay Saunders first season at the club ended with a creditable ninth place finish, just four points off the play offs. The end of the season brought farewell to two legendary figures at the club with Sonny Miles leaving the club with a record 527 appearances to his name whilst in the boardroom, chairman Dave Netherstreet also stepped down after five years at the helm. Sophie Purves has replaced Dave as the club's chair.


Up There Cazaly! A season by season history of the Angels. Just click on the title below for the season you wish to look at.

Up There Cazaly No 1 Season 1948-49

Up There Cazaly! No 2 Season 1949-50

Up There Cazaly! No.3 Season 1950-51

Up There Cazaly! No 4 Season 1951-52

Up There Cazaly! No 5 Season 1952-53

Up There Cazaly! No 6 Seasons 1953-54, 1954-55

Up There Cazaly! No 7 Seasons  1955-56, 1956-57

Up There Cazaly! No 8 Seasons 1957-58, 1958-59

Up There Cazaly! No 9 Season 1959-60

Up There Cazaly! No 10 Season 1960-61

Up There Cazaly! No 11 Season 1961-62

Up There Cazaly ! No 12 Season 1962-63

Up There Cazaly! No 13 Season 1963-64

Up There Cazaly! No 14 Season 1964-65

Appearances - The '250' Club

Truett, Geoff323232
2945 +194517 +1517>518Sat 18/08/1962 v Burton Albion
Gillham, Mark368 +3224 +19 +13 +155 +214 +115488 +38515>518
Sat 14/02/1981 v Ashford Town
Lovell, Peter312232
303567469469Sat 05/04/1958 v Merthyr Tydfil
Tingley, Danny376 +923862612 +1
451 +10458Tue 25/08/1992 v Slade Green
Stonebridge, Phil301 +42820
301841438 +4440Sat 15/08/1970 v Merthyr Tydfil
Miles, Sonny354 +222223 +1
6 +715 +1
420 +31434Tue 02/12/2008 v Merstham
Carolan, Joe254 +7225
2138 +176419 +8422>426Sat 18/08/1962 v Burton Albion
Taylor, Bobby252182
2230 +279 +1403 +3404>406Sat 22/08/1964 v Cambridge City
Hailstones, Bob29119

373917403403Sat 28/08/1954 v Worcester City
Smith, Barry260 +1618 +217
252241 +2382 +22389>400Sat 09/08/1969 v Corby Town
Blewden, Colin264 +4120 +58 +1
36 +39 +19 +1346 +52373Tue 11/09/1984 v Hastings United
Booth, Tony262 +2618 +16 +11 +142 +1125 +1346 +31372Sat 21/01/1984 v Ashford Town
Keirs, John269 +111914
19 +11321355 +12362
Sat 11/08/1973 v Telford United
Hancock, Gordon228 +51616 +1
13 +1930 +1313 +9318>321Fri 08/12/1972 v Margate
Kemp, Ray186 +1116 +16 +2
1829 +148 +2303 +16310>319Tue 05/09/1961 v Ramsgate Athletic
Kilford, John18714

152358296 +1297Sat 18/08/1962 v Burton Albion
Waters, Dave180 +510 +66 +3
13 +11453 +3276 +19286>295Thu 23/04/1964 v Canterbury City
Boyton, Dave200 +210 +23 +1438 +1912276 +6281>282Wed 04/09/1985 v Woodford Town
Parter. Jack224 +1115 +115 +3
7 +14 +4
265 +20274Sat 09/08/2014 v VCD Athletic
Beales, John213 +1815 +318 +1
68 +2
260 +24269Tue 29/10/2002 v Welling United
Crump, Fred16313

142652268268Mon 05/02/1962 v Cambridge United
Tutton, Alan214 +5175
256 +5261Sat 19/08/1995 v Fareham Town
Radford, Joe215 +3229
9 +15
260 +4260Sat 17/08/1996 v Bashley
Bickerstaff, Tommy19516

19227259259Sat 20/08/1955 v Llanelly
Freeman, Mark196 +239 +13414 +28 +21235 +27256Sat 06/01/1990 v Ramsgate
Bell, Sid20125

255255Sat 20/08/1949 v Barry Town

LCs = Southern League Cup / Kent League Cup / Isthmian League Cup
CCs = Kent Senior Cup / Kent Senior Trophy / Kent Senior Shield
Oth = Kent Floodlight Cup / Eastern Floodlight Cup / Kent League Charity Shield

Statistics correct to December 31, 2020.
Total = Starts + Listed Sub. Non-playing subs are included.
APPS = Total playing appearances only where known.

Published Tuesday 28th May 2019 (last updated Friday 23rd June 2023)