Log in or Register
Hythe Town 0
2 Tonbridge Angels
Read (7', 81')

Read all about it

Report from Max Meads

An Alex Read brace stole the show for Tonbridge Angels as they cruised to the next round of the FA Cup with a win vs Hythe Town FC.

Steve McKimm fielded an identical side to the one that beat VCD Athletic on Tuesday, while ex-Angels Chris Kinnear and Charlie Webster started for Hythe.

The Angels started with a great attacking mindset, with winger Adem Ramadan cutting through Hythe’s defence, nearly scoring just 30 seconds in. It didn’t take long for Adem to be involved again, assisting Alex Read with an excellent cross that Read bundled into the net just seven minutes in.

The Angels followed up with a multitude of chances and set-pieces, but none were able to beat Kamarasi, who pulled out some commanding saves to keep the margin slim.

The Cannons made efforts to keep Joe Turner out of the game, and while this did not bother the winger much, Ramadan capitalised on the lack of bodies on his side, making another excellent run that saw him come close again in the 24th.

The remainder of the first half saw little action at either end, apart from a Hythe chance that called Angels keeper Jonny Henly into action, and the Angels entered half time 1-0 up.

Tonbridge were on the metaphorical and literal ball after coming out after half-time, with Read coming close to scoring his second of the afternoon just three minutes after the whistle blew. A great cross from Tommy Whitnell found him in the box, but he was unable to head it home.

The Angels had a great chance just before the hour mark with a free-kick just outside of the box, but it was cleared by an unflinching Hythe wall. Despite having three defenders glued to him whenever he saw the ball, Turner was doing his best to push forward, getting on the end of some excellent through-balls from Parkinson, Parter and Whitnell.

Whitnell was subbed off in the 75th minute after picking up a knock to his knee, but replacement Liam King made an instant impact through a deft cross that met Read, putting the Angels 2-0 up in the 81st after slotting it into the bottom-left corner.

The remaining minutes were quiet, but when Hythe threatened an attack, the Tonbridge defence were as solid as ever, and saw the game out, securing a place in the next round.

After the match, Angels gaffer Steve McKimm said “We had to be on our game today; it’s all about making it through and we made it.”

“In the last five they threw everything at us, but we’d done our homework on them and we came away with the win as a result.”

Published Thursday 18th April 2019