Log in or Register
Tonbridge Angels 1
King (51')
0 VCD Athletic

Report from Max Meads

Tonbridge Angels advanced to the next round of the Velocity Cup and remained unbeaten in all competitions thanks to a Liam King goal against VCD Athletic.

Steve McKimm fielded some fresh faces following Saturday’s win against Wingate and Finchley, with Adonis-Taylor, Luchford, Fenton, King and Whitnell making the starting 11. Named on the bench were Sam Jones and Dominic Toussaint, from the U21 Development side.

Tonbridge started the match full of vigour, with a shot from Dane Luchford rattling the post 3 minutes in. Following this, the chances were shared more evenly between the two sides, but the Angels still had the majority of the play.

Joe Turner was able to record a couple of shots around the 20 minute mark, but despite how dangerous Tonbridge were looking, they were unable to convert any of their chances into goals.

Callum Adonis-Taylor saved Tonbridge’s blushes on the half-hour mark, pulling out an excellent last-man clearance from Gaggin’s shot to keep the score level.

The following minutes saw little action, save for an ambitious diving header by Turner from a James Folkes cross that troubled the VCD keeper, and the whistle blew for half time.

The second half saw little action in the opening minutes, but the Angels went ahead in the 51st with a strike from Liam King. Dane Luchford’s cross met King in the box, and he expertly buried it in the left hand corner.

Tonbridge Angels came close again just five minutes later, with a headed effort from Craig Stone being smothered by VCD goalkeeper Mant. Following a VCD chance that went well high of the mark, Jack Fenton’s shot beat the defenders, but went just wide.

Dane Luchford came close once again to scoring with an attempt from a Joe Turner cross, but he was unable to put it past Mant. Not long after this the Angels made their first change, bringing Dane off for Adem Ramadan.

VCD woke up soon after Ramadan’s entry, and threatened the Angels defence with some dangerous chances, with one forcing an excellent diving save by Henly, but they were ultimately unable to make these count. Around the 80-minute mark, Jack Fenton made way for Dominic Toussaint, with Joe Turner moving into the middle as a result. The final 10 were relatively uneventful, save for a shot on target for Turner, with the 1-0 result making it seven wins and one draw so far this season.

After the game, assistant manager Barry Moore said, “I think the boys deserved the win in the end.”

“Going through to the next round is all important, and we’re looking forward to it against Sevenoaks, and Saturday’s FA Cup match against Hythe.”

Published Thursday 18th April 2019