Log in or Register
Worthing 1
Rents (66')
1 Tonbridge Angels
King (38')

Worthing win 3-2 on penalties

The Angels put on a much improved performance to cheer the handful of their supporters who made the longish trip to Worthing through the chaos of an evening peak period and on a cold night.

In particular Adem Ramadan and Jared Small used the flanks to great effect with the two wingers getting good support from full backs, Liam Smith and James Folkes.

Worthing played their part in an entertaining game with their slick passing weaving patterns across the 3G pitch and the 296 spectators had much to keep them interested. In the 6th minute following a raid down the right the away side had the ball in the net but to be fair it was an obvious offside.

On 13 minutes the Rebels put the Angels goal under extreme pressure following a well delivered free kick with Callum Kealy eventually putting a strong header just over the bar. Six minutes later at the other end Turner’s snap shot forced Kleton Perntpeou into a punch to clear his lines.

Worthing’s best chance of the first period came on the half hour mark when Reece Myles-Meekums’ fiercely struck shot saw Henly just able to push the ball round the post for a corner. Eight minutes later another promising raid down the Tonbridge left flank saw a good Ramadan delivery with King just able to make the space to turn and shoot low into the corner of the net putting the visitors 1-0 up.

Worthing edged the second period although on 49 minutes King was one on one with the keeper but he was forced just a little wide and the chance was wasted, and on the hour Small’s run and cross set up King but a Worthing defender did just enough to ensure their deficit didn’t become greater.

It felt like an equaliser was coming and in the 66th minute following a Henly save that rebounded out of the Tonbridge defence it fell to a Worthing player, Sam Rents, whose accurate drive this time beat the Angels keeper.

Almost straight from the restart the best chance of the half fell to Joe Turner who found himself clear with only the Worthing keeper to beat but if anything his shot was too hard and went over when a little more composure might have brought more reward.

Both sides went for the win and it was end to end stuff in the closing stages but a penalty shootout was the only way to separate the sides. Angels forced the spot kicks to sudden death but with Tommy Whitnell’s effort saved, Alex Parsons sent the Rebels into the next round.

Published Friday 19th April 2019