Log in or Register
Tonbridge Angels 1
Turner (90')
2 Enfield Town
Blackman (44'), Olomowewe (57')

Angels suffer as Towners raid Longmead

The fact that the Angels have now lost twice at home in the space of 10 days against two of their closest rivals Bognor Regis Town and now Enfield Town must give the management team some cause for concern. That said the team still stand top of the table largely due to the number of draws the chasing pack have endured.

It was a somewhat tentative start by both sides with plenty of accurate passing in midfield but few genuine chances created. Joe Turner for Tonbridge did pull the trigger in the 11th minute and with the ball taking a slight deflection, Enfield keeper Joe Wright was forced to save at the expense of a corner.

Although Sam Youngs for the visitors did make a penetrating run it was Tonbridge who started to assert themselves on the match. Chances fell to Turner and Adem Ramadan and in the 32nd minute it was Turner again in a great position who saw his shot go just wide.

Slightly against the run of play it was Enfield who opened the scoring in the 44th minute when a header out of the Angels defence fell to skipper Ryan Blakman whose well struck shot went through a defenders leg leaving the unsighted Jonny Henly helpless to retrieve the situation.

The Angels were to pay dearly for a somewhat lack lustre start to the second period as Enfield proceeded to double their advantage in the 55th minute. A corner for the Towners was clinically headed in by the onrushing Taofiq Olomowewe giving the home side something of a mountain to climb. Chances did fall to Alex Read and Ramadan but the Enfield defence was well organised resulting in the home side largely being restricted to crosses that lacked true accuracy.

The introduction of Tom Beere and Liam King made little difference and ironically it was Enfield who looked the likelier to score with one of their increasing number of breakaways. Deep in stoppage time the Angels did grab a consolation through Turner but it far too little far too late.

Afterwards Assistant Manager, Barry Moore said: “For the first 20 to 25 minutes I thought we did all the right things and were the better team but after that we didn’t do what we normally do best and allowed them back into things. The second goal which was the killer we simply didn’t pick up their No 5 and I have to say it’s very unusual for us to concede from a set piece.”

Published Thursday 18th April 2019