Log in or Register
Wealdstone 3
1 Tonbridge Angels
Theobalds (60' pen)

The scoreline was perhaps predictable, but the gutsy performance of their team will have pleased most of the Angels supporters with the final result in doubt until the last few minutes. 

There was early hope for the Angels in the opening minutes as they managed to force four corners in succession but all were dealt with by the Wealdstone defence. 

Soon the hosts were in their stride and after a quarter of an hour should have taken the lead but a miss kick provided a temporary reprieve for the Angels. Just one minute later another Wealdstone move down the left proved far more profitable when the cross was diverted into his own net by Christ Tiehi to put the hosts one up.

On 21 minutes Sonny Miles executed a brilliant cut out to prevent a further goal but in truth Wealdstone were running the show with Dennon Lewis particularly influential. 

Several chances went begging for the hosts but as the half ran down Tonbridge started to assert themselves with a succession of corners putting severe pressure on the Wealdstone defence culminating in Rudoni effort being blocked on the line and a Joe Turner header just wide.

Now playing down the slope in the second period, the Angels started confidently enough, Jared Small almost reaching a through ball before it was  gathered by Stones keeper Aston Oxborough.

However, when Wealdstone were awarded a penalty in the 50th minute with the rebound converted by Billy Clifford it seemed game over for the visitors.    But the Angels players collectively decided it certainly wasn’t game over and started to take the match to their hosts.  The promptings of D’Sean Theobalds and Jack Rudoni in central midfield, the pace of Turner and Jared Small on the wings and the ever willing Tom Derry up front gave the Wealdstone defence plenty to think about. 

In the 58th minute Turner put through Derry who controlled the ball with skill the defender forced to stop him with a clumsy tackle resulting in the award of a spot kick. Two minutes later Theobalds converted despite Oxborough getting a hand to the ball and suddenly Angels knew they were very much back in the game. 

In the 66th minute a Small cross was met by the unmarked Turner who had stolen in from the left but the winger simply couldn’t get any strength on the header which made it relatively easy for Oxborough. 

It was virtually all Tonbridge with only the occasional raid from the hosts and one could sense the nervousness around the majority of the crowd as the league leaders failed to stamp their authority on the game.

The 81st minute saw Tonbridge’s big chance go begging. Another Small cross found the unmarked Tom Derry who met the ball perfectly with his head only to see the shot fall straight into the arms of Oxborough.  Even the slightest mis head from Derry and it would have been a certain goal. 

Angels continued to press but as the game entered stoppage time Wealdstone at last took advantage of a gap in the Tonbridge defence and Dejon Noel-Williams was able to put something of a gloss on the scoreline which was perhaps a touch harsh on the visitors. 

Afterwards, Angels Boss Steve McKimm said: “I was very proud of my players today. This was a good performance against a strong Wealdstone side. It was a defeat but we restricted the top of the league side to only a few chances especially in the second half. Our fans were brilliant and meant a lot to me and the players especially the words of encouragement afterwards in the bar.”

Published Saturday 26th October 2019 (last updated Monday 28th October 2019)