Log in or Register
Tonbridge Angels 0
2 Hungerford Town
Seagar (68'), Harding (90')
Match Day 2 Results

Crusaders march through Longmead

Hungerford are defying the pundits with a 100% record in the embryonic National South Table.  This win against Tonbridge Angels was certainly no fluke, they came with a plan and it worked for them.  By contrast the hosts never reached the heights of last Tuesday’s win at Billericay and seemed stranglely out of sorts.  They could have few complaints with no genuine chances on goal during the 2nd half.   Coach James Scott said they were all disappointed with the performance and only had themselves to blame.  “If Da Costa’s effort in the 1st half has counted instead of being ruled out for offside it  might have been a different game - it certainly looked OK to us,” he explained. 

The first half saw few genuine chances for either side with defences both very much in the ascendancy and looking secure.  The midfield creators for Tonbridge and Hungerford worked hard to create a moment of magic but were unable to produce the killer pass that would have broken the deadlock.  

It was Craig Fasanmade who seemed to be the danger man for Hungerford and his effort on 7 minutes was just wide of the far post.  There were a couple chances for Hungerford’s Ryan Seager, and at the other end D’Sean Theobalds saw his on target effort deflected for a corner on 21 minutes while two minutes later Joe Turners low shot was pushed round the post by Luke Cairney. 

The second period continued in much the same vein with chances at a premium. In the 68th minute an uncharacteristic mistake from Angels playmaker D’Sean Theobalds resulted in a free kick for Hungerford in a dangerous position just outside the penalty area. Seager’s technique was perfect with the ball nesting in the back of the Tonbridge net. 

The home side did their best to try to even things up but the Hungerford defence was in uncompromising mood.  It seemed that the game would end with just the one goal but an extraordinary error in stoppage time by Angels keeper James Shaw when he waited for a referee’s whistle that never came saw substitute James Harding steal the ball away and calmly place it into an empty net to double the visitors advantage.

Published Saturday 10th October 2020 (last updated Sunday 11th October 2020)