Log in or Register
Chippenham Town 0
1 Tonbridge Angels
Wood (42')
Wood Yellow

Wood's strike brings win home from Wiltshire

When referee Matthew Scholes stopped play after 36 minutes for a second time, it looked like the game was quite literally up. Fog had begun to descend on Chippenham's 'Thornbury Surfacing Ltd Stadium' just after kick off and visibility was noticeably decreasing by the 20 minute mark. Not long after that it became very difficult to see across the pitch from one side to the other and after consultation with one of his officials Scholes decided to continue play. The second break looked far more serious with the referee engaging in conversation with players, both assistants and finally the two managers. 

Tonbridge Angels can certainly be delighted that he decided to carry on until at least half time. While there was a lack of clear chances, it would be fair to say the home side were enjoying a slight majority of possession as well as territory, taking full advantage of the slope. It was the Angels who had the ball in the net first however, but the whistle had already blown; Tommy Wood judged to have bundled over the last defender as he rounded goalkeeper Will Henry to score. 

The half-hour mark brought the first shot on target of the match. Callum Gunner arrived to the ball some 30 yards out from goal and unleashed an attempt with some power, but Jonny Henly was able to safely palm it away for a corner kick.

Angels' best spell of the match immediately followed the second break in play, taking their game to the hosts as the half drew to a close. Centre backs Harry Hudson and Luke Jenkins both ventured forward to join attacks as Tonbridge sought to overload their opponents, and it was Jenkins who found space on the right wing to provide a perfect cross to the far post. Wood, now full of confidence after his crucial goals against Hungerford and King's Lynn this month, directed a left foot volley past Henry to give his side the lead on 41 minutes.

By the start of the second half Scholes' decision to continue was totally vindicated as the fog had completely cleared. Tonbridge started brighter - Craig Braham-Barrett and then Wood both unable to get on the end of crosses from the right while Chippenham came close with another shot on target comfortably collected by Henly. The match though was being largely played out in the midfield areas with any balls being played forward by the Chippenham midfield being easily cleared by the Angels back three of Jenkins, Sonny Miles and Hudson.

The best chance to score of the half came on 75 minutes. Ibrahim Olutade had come on for the tiring James Taylor, and was immediately set free behind the Town defence. Henry got down to make a good save but only parried into the direction of Jamie Fielding, who had time to pick his shot but blazed over.

Chippenham tried to turn the pressure up in the closing minutes but in truth the Tonbridge defence never looked stretched and were able to see out the match with just their third league clean sheet of the season.

A delighted Steve McKimm said: "Unbelievable performance form the boys. To a man they were outstanding. Three points, 1-0 win away and a clean sheet against a very good side, you can't ask for more than that. I would also like to add how grateful myself and the team were to those supporters who travelled tonight on a difficult evening for road conditions "

Published Wednesday 19th January 2022