Log in or Register
K Sports 1
1 Tonbridge Angels U18

Under-18's held at Cobdown

It was a frustrating evening at Cobdown as bottom club K Sports took a point from the Angels Under-18’s.

Tonbridge had more than enough chances to win the game comfortably but after conceding a poor goal on 25 minutes, it took until 10 minutes from time to finally find an equaliser.

Dom Welsh said after the game: “That epitomises our season, one good performance followed by one slightly average one.”

Throughout the game, the Angels approach play was good, with Mike Hollamby excellent; Sam Firman and Felix Waring opening up the K’s defence with skilful footwork but it all sadly went to waste in front of goal.

But, in fairness to K Sports, they defended bravely, continually making important blocks and last ditch challenges and when shots got through, goalkeeper Mackenzie did all that he had to do.

The game set its course from the early stages and in the eighth minute a fine run from Firman set up a series of shots from Ruben Etherington and Cameron Honavar that were saved before Waring fired over.

Waring and Hollamby brought saves from Mackenzie Drew before Matt Larkin was stretched for the first time, holding on to a low shot from outside of area.

On 25 minutes K Sports took the lead with a goal of straightforward simplicity that will disappoint everybody. A corner was won from the right and from it, Jamie Thain was allowed to move unchallenged to the near post to score with the easiest of headers.

Tonbridge had several chances for parity before the break, the best of which saw Drew save from Hollamby and a shot from Waring that was deflected for a corner.

The situation at the break might have been worse for the Angels had it not been for a magnificent save from Larkin, clawing out of the top corner a shot from Noah Giles.

The first period had not been entirely one-way traffic, the second half most certainly was.

A catalogue of chances that passed the Angels by, whether that be by profligacy or by resolute defending and when Hollamby struck a post with a 20 yard shot, one began to despair that this would be one of those nights.

But, eventually, the K’s stoicism was broken when a through ball from Waring sent substitute Rockie Burke clear to finish past the advancing goalkeeper.

An all-out assault in the final 10 minutes to secure all the points saw Drew save from Honavar (twice) and Etherington, whilst an effort from Firman cleared the bar.

Dom Welsh recognised the wholehearted effort of the K Sports defence but was as frustrated as the watching supporters at the outcome.

Published Tuesday 7th March 2023 (last updated Wednesday 8th March 2023)