Log in or Register
Ramsgate 4
Carvalho (27'), Rowland (44', 68'), Riley-Snow (66')
3 Tonbridge Angels
Greenidge (15'), Rutherford (54'), Wood (61' pen)
Angels 3 Ramsgate 4 Kent Senior Cup QF 14.03.23.

Angels knocked out of Kent Senior Cup

Despite Angels twice taking the lead they eventually departed the Kent Senior Cup and will have to wait until next season before attempting to win this competition for the first time since 1975.  Their opponents from the the Isthmian League South East will now face near neighbours Margate in the semi final that promises to be a tasty affair.  It has to be said that on the overall balance of play the Rams probably deserved the victory but they were helped considerably by some defensive errors in the Angels ranks and Manager, Jay Saunders admitted afterwards that some of his players were off their game.  

It had all started so well for the visitors with Tommy Wood making a dangerous run into the Ramsgate penalty area within the first three minutes.  On the 11th minute Sonny Miles laid a glorious cross field pass into the path of Jack Wood but he showed just a little too much of the ball to the Ramsgate keeper and the chance was gone.  Tommy Wood again was in the thick of the action with his goal bound shot taking a deflection which steered the ball slightly away to keep the game goal less.

On 15 minutes however the Angels took the lead through Jordan Greenidge who made good progress down the right hand channel before turning inside, making the space and shooting accurately into the goal.  When he seemingly added a second a minute later it looked like it was going to be an enjoyable evening for the visitors but the effort was ruled out for off side and in that moment Angels never really looked the same side again. 

The 27th minute saw Ramsgate equalise through Carvalho following a cross from the right which surely should have been defended better by the visitors.  Seven minutes later Greenidge should have put the Angels back in the lead after doing the hard work but somehow managing to drag his shot wide.  Just before the half time whistle Kane Rowland put Ramsgate in front following a free kick from the right hand side.

No doubt an encouraging half time talk spurred some of the Angels players on to better things with Tommie Fagg on 49 minutes testing the Ramsgate keeper who just about managed to parry the ball away.  A minute later Jack Wood was on target but the ball was deflected away by Jordan Greenidge - it was that kind of a night for Angels.  Hopes were raised when after pressure from the visitors Fyn Rutherford scored on 54 minutes and then five minutes later Tommy Wood earnt a penalty, took it himself and scored putting the Angels once more back into the lead at 3-2.  

It was indeed a crazy eight minutes with Riley-Snow and then Rowland getting his second of the night in the 66th and 68th minutes respectively to once again restore the Rams lead. Both those strikes appeared to come through goalkeeping errors. Despite a chance for Aransibia on 77 minutes it has to be said that although having enough time to save the game, Angels didn't really bother the Ramsgate defence over much.

Afterwards a disappointed Jay Saunders who no doubt had been relishing a visit to his old club Margate in the semi final said: "Some of the lads need to have a little look at themselves they let their standards drop massively and  we've not done enough to win the game."   

Picture; Wink Tomkinson         .                  


Published Wednesday 15th March 2023