Log in or Register
Tonbridge Angels 2
Aransibia (15'), Greenidge (37')
2 Concord Rangers
Bettamer (23'), Modeste (71')
Devonte Aransibia sees his header saved onto the cross bar. Angels 2 vs Concord Rangers 2 18.02.23.

Concord Rangers frustrate Angels

Tonbridge welcomed Concord, but let them leave with a point too many from an Angels perspective.   With the hosts handily placed just below the play off places and the Beach Boys worryingly situated in the drop zone this was a game that Angels would be aiming for three points but in football what is expected doesn’t always work out that way and this was one of those afternoons. 

Indeed Angels enjoyed most of the possession, created more chances and saw the visiting goalkeeper by far the busier of the two custodians but it’s how many times one hits the back of the net that really matters and in that respect Concord Rangers managed to equal their hosts.

It was just the one change to the starting line up from that which took all the points at Dulwich Hamlet last Saturday with Scott Wagstaff preferred to Tommie Fagg in the heart of midfield. 

The home side began the game on top with a cross to Angels top-scorer Jordan Greenidge which was nodded into the hands of goalkeeper Beeney.

A short quiet period followed with Angels holding the ball well, but on the 17 minute mark a delightful cross from Hinds was met by Devonte Aransibia and headed perfectly into the top right corner.

It wasn’t long until Concord responded in the 23rd minute with what was their first real chance. An overhead kick from Mo Bettamer gave the away side an equaliser.

With Concord boosted and Angels frustrated the tempo started to rise. 

It was the home side who capitalised on their possession with another headed goal. Jordan Greenidge met a cross from Tariq Hinds which was placed perfectly into the corridor of uncertainty.  

With Concord's central defender Jimmy Wallace having to be substituted on the stroke of half time and their squad already short of players it would have appeared to set the Angels up for a reasonably comfortable three points.   

At half time Angels were very much on top and most in the 1071 crowd would have expected the home side to have gone on to win the game but that goal to kill the game off didn’t materialise

Concord, who would have to  utilise their minimal chances, did so in the 71st minute. Ex Angel Ricky Modeste was successful in close quarters giving the travelling side another equaliser with the score line now 2-2.

Despite Angels putting on the pressure as the game came to a close, with a strong appeal for a penalty following a foul on man of the match Devonte Aransibia in which he was injured and then substitute Tommie Fagg unlucky not to score forcing a magnificent save from Mitch Beeney, the game ended with the two sides sharing the spoils.

Afterwards Angels Boss, Jay Saunders expressed his frustration at the outcome of the game.  “It was a game that we controlled for long periods we’ve hit the woodwork at least three times, scored two good goals, forced two magnificent saves from their keeper, and had a strong penalty appeal waved away, but within all of that we’ve given away two sloppy goals which I’ll have to have a closer look at.  That said we’ve kept the unbeaten run going to eight games including the Kent Senior Cup and we are still very much in the mix to reach the play offs.”

It was surely the case that most would have left the ground feeling it was two points dropped rather than one gained although the meagre crowd from Essex would have been delighted at gaining what would have seemed at times an unlikely point in their fight to avoid the drop.   

Photo: David Couldridge: So close! Jordan Greenidge sees his header saved onto the Concord crossbar.

Published Saturday 18th February 2023 (last updated Sunday 19th February 2023)