Log in or Register
Tonbridge Angels 1
Fagg (22')
2 St Albans City
Stanley (9'), Isaac (81')
Tommie Fagg scores the equaliser for Tonbridge

Saints take all the points despite hard work from Angels

Angels lined up with Jeremy Santos loanee from Charlton Athletic making his first start in place of Manny Maja while TQ Addy came in for Walters who was unavailable due to injury.  

As early as the third minute Joe Turner had the ball in the St Albans net but it was ruled out for offside. For the fourth successive match Angels fell behind early when confusion reigned in the home defence and eventually Devante Stanley poked the ball past Jonny Henly

Dylan Gavin for the Angels was looking lively and twice found himself one on one with Saints keeper Michael Johnson but both occasions proved fruitless for the home side.

This however was a good spell for Tonbridge and on 27 minutes following a home side corner Tommie Fagg rose highest to level the scores.  

Angels continued to make the running and a minute later a free kick drifted across the Saints goal area which just needed a touch to put the home side ahead. 

In first half stoppage time a Santos free kick was headed goalwards  by Swift but Johnson made an excellent save and so it remained level at the break.

St Albans started the second half the stronger with Angels rocked by two enforced substitutions to the two Charlton loanees, Gavin and Santos.   That said Angels started to come more into the game on the hour mark with a thunderbolt from Turner just wide and then a strong passage of play with Fagg at the heart of it but eventually a poor cross put paid to hopes of taking the lead. 

Angels continued to pile pressure on the St Albans goal with another strong volley from Turner that was deflected for a corner and with the resultant set piece Swift executing a strong header that was just wide and then just as it looked as if Tonbridge might be capable of taking all the points disaster struck.  From a relatively innocuous St Albans attack, Chec Issac produced an extraordinary curler that ended up in the top left hand side of Henly’s goal.  The strike was timed on 81 minutes which didn’t leave the home side too long to get something from the game.

The visitors managed the remaining minutes of the game to their advantage but Angels did worry the visitors particularly as the game entered stoppage time with a corner that Miles came close to converting for an equaliser and then with the very last action substitute Collins so very nearly rescued a point for Angels with a header that skimmed the Saints crossbar.

A disappointed Angels Boss, Jay Saunders said: “I don’t want to make excuses but injuries aren’t helping but that said we are still conceding preventable goals and at the other end not taking our chances.”

Published Monday 29th August 2022 (last updated Wednesday 31st August 2022)