Log in or Register
Tonbridge Angels 0
0 Hampton & Richmond Borough

Stalemate vs Hampton & Richmond Borough

Tonbridge Angels hosted Hampton and Richmond Borough on Tuesday evening. The visitors came into the game placed third in the league whilst Tonbridge sat in 16th.

 Despite Ben Swift’s red card on Saturday, Angels boss Jay Saunders opted for the same eleven that played out a 1-1 draw on Saturday vs Chelmsford (Swift’s suspension not coming through until the upcoming trip to St Albans).

In the first five minutes, Tonbridge were looking to take advantage of a free kick which was cleared away by Hampton. The guests broke away and in a different phase a few moments later, Hampton’s Donaldson had an effort on goal forcing a routine save from Jonny Henly.

A constant theme throughout the first half was Sean Shields working chances for the hosts. The winger won a corner with a shot from wide left which forced the keeper to intervene.

 Diagonal balls from the left-hand side were constantly coming towards Tariq Hinds who was playing higher than his traditional full back role on the right flank. Hinds took on an effort after half an hour, cutting onto his left but lifting the shot high and wide. Multiple other promising moments came from diagonal switches but none of the opportunities could be worked into the back of the net. 

The most action of the first half came near to its end. On 43 minutes, Angels skipper Scott Wagstaff had a good effort blocked after finding space once he’d received the ball from Hinds who again had combined well with Sean Shields.

On the stroke of half time, Jonny Henly parried a long shot into the path of an arriving Hampton attacker, but the goalkeeper did well enough to save the second effort and keep it goalless at the break.  

Into the second half, Tariq Hinds slotted a ball into the net having been played in behind, but the flag was up behind him for offside and the goalkeeper didn’t attempt to save as he had noticed it too.

 With an hour and five played, Hampton created their most dangerous chance of the game at that stage. Substitute George Hunt’s instantaneous effort was saved well by Henly and the second attempt flew above the crossbar.

 After the hour mark, the game had the feeling of a goalless draw and that was exactly how it finished. Both teams had chances in the late period of the game but nothing substantial enough to change the narrative of the game. Some may feel it’s points dropped, others, a point gained. Either way, an extra one on the board for the Angels as they now look forward to a Saturday trip to St Albans City.  

Published Tuesday 7th November 2023