Log in or Register
Truro City 1
Greenslade (90'+8)
2 Tonbridge Angels
Fish (45'+2), Gard (62' pen)

Torrential Truro Tie

Angels arrived in Plymouth on Saturday lunchtime, the question whether the game would go ahead was lingering, but a thumbs up from the referee saw the teams assume their usual warm up routines despite the recent and forecasted heavy downfalls of rain. 

Both Tom Parkinson and Jamie Fielding who played on Tuesday were absentees. The two centre backs instead were the most youthful combination Angels have played all season, home grown Joe Tyrie and loanee Ethan Sutcliffe

The XI: Henly, Hinds, Tyrie, Sutcliffe, Meade, Higgs, Wagstaff, Gard, Pegrum, Fish, Shields.

Both of the young centre backs showed good signs early on in the first half despite the state of the pitch which made every touch and pass a nervy event.

Throughout the first half, Angels were the stronger side, occupying promising spaces, making positive runs and teasing the travelling fans with shots that either flew just high or fell slightly wide. 

It was never going to be a pretty game, the conditions preventing any kind of tiki-taka football and forcing a more ‘route-one’ style.

On the stroke of half-time, Angels, having snatched the ball and found a channel, utilised a direct pass. Sonny Fish got on the end of a perfectly placed central through ball from Charlie Pegrum and didn’t think twice about slotting past the opposition keeper. 

At half time, Angels headed down the tunnel with what seemed a deserved one nil lead. 

A response was expected after the break and Truro put pressure on from the very beginning of the second period. 

From the off, crosses were coming into the Angels box thick and fast and Tonbridge were put on the back foot. 

Nevertheless, the defence stayed strong and it only took one break to relight the fire from the first half. Pegrum, Fish and Shields carved a threatening break, the final shot denied only by the keeper. 

Having grown into the half and now approaching the hour mark, Angels got the chance to double their lead. Mayhem in the box saw the visitors eventually awarded a penalty for a foul on Jernade Meade which was, as usual, calmly converted by top scorer Lewis Gard to extend the score line in Tonbridge’s favour.

The nature of the muddy, almost heavy pitch, meant the last half an hour would be no straight forward affair. Truro were in pursuit and piling on the pressure.

Ansu Janneh, rather unluckily, was sent down the tunnel for a challenge in the opposition half. No malice was obvious and the tackle appeared exaggerated by his slip as he committed but the referee reached for his back pocket. 

Now down to ten, the task only got harder but Angels saw through the win despite conceding (from distance) with what was one of the last kicks of the game from Harvey Greenslade. 

Opposition player Tyler Harvey also saw red, after a second yellow, for a high boot which forced Jordan Higgs (who’d played excellently all afternoon) down for  treatment.

A red card for both teams at full time but only one side took the points. Truro City 1, Tonbridge Angels 2.

Published Saturday 28th October 2023 (last updated Sunday 29th October 2023)