Log in or Register
Haringey Borough 4
Young (37' pen, 45', 71'), Figueira (83')
2 Tonbridge Angels
Greenidge (41'), Crichlow (75')

Angels crash out of FA Cup

Tonbridge Angels travelled to North London to face Haringey Borough in the second qualifying round of the FA cup. Hoping to make up for last year’s exit at Binfield, Jay Saunders fielded a strong side; Henly, Hinds, Fielding, Lyons-Foster, Meade, Wagstaff (c), Higgs, Santos, Turner, Greenidge, Soares-Junior 

Angels showed positive early signs. Extended possession and chances for Joe Turner, whose shot was deflected wide, as well as Greenidge with a misplaced header at the back post and a missed opportunity to tap home from a squared ball courtesy of Soares-Junior. 

Jonny Henly was forced to deny a Haringey opener after a short spell of dominance for the home side.

Despite further efforts including a well struck volley from Joe Turner, Haringey broke the deadlock from the spot. Jordan Greenidge rather unlucky, trying to clear the ball and catching an opponent during the process, conceding a penalty. Matthew Young stepped up and slotted home beyond Henly into the bottom left.

Minutes later, Angels responded through Greenidge. He helped push in a trickling ball that had initially been directed beyond the keeper by Joe Turner

Before the break, in the second minute of additional time, Matthew Young for Borough doubled his tally from distance and re-established his side's lead. 

Gianni Crichlow was introduced at half time for the Angels, replacing Soares-Junior. The substitute involved from the off, blazing a great chance over the bar from close range after just four minutes of the second half.

After a period of misplaced passes, poor shots and half-hearted efforts, things went from bad to worse for the Angels, conceding another long-range effort, on the break with Matthew Young picking up his hat trick.

Three minutes later, a chance to respond was squandered. Jernade Meade did well down the left-hand side to put it on a plate for Ibby Akanbi who missed the tap in. Akanbi claiming he was pulled.

Crichlow reduced the deficit on 75 minutes rifling a short-range shot past the opposition keeper but just eight minutes later, Haringey’s Figuera scored and ultimately secured the home side’s progression to the next round. The goal coming from quick one touch football on the edge of the box which Angels were second best to as they were all day.

Haringey Borough 4, Tonbridge Angels 2.

Published Saturday 16th September 2023